Selamat Hari Raya!
Eid is celebrated for a whole month which means open houses and stuffing our faces with delicious Raya foods are still on going. This is my second year celebrating Eid as a vegan and no - I did not spend it eating just rice and leafy greens. I dominated my palette with never ending rendang, lemang, lontong, curry and more! I also managed to munch on cruelty free cookies at people’s open houses.
Whoever said being vegan is clearly boring and didn’t know how to eat like a true vegan foodie!
Why not try these vegan raya recipes to have a very green Hari Raya for your waist line, wallet and the Earth!
Related Articles: Beauty Breakdown: Raya Make-Up With Nita Cosmetics' Turkish Collection
PEANUT SAUCE (Kuah Kacang)
- 1 x chopped lemongrass
- 1/4 cup of soaked dried chilli
- 1 tablespoon of choppped garlic
- 1/2 cup of chopped onions
- 1/2 tablespoon of chopped ginger
- 2 cups of roasted peanuts (without skin)
- ¼ cup of tamarind
- Dash of salt and black pepper for seasoning
- Blend the chopped lemongrass, soaked dried chilli, garlic, and onions until it becomes a paste. Stir fry the paste on a hot pan with oil until the ingredients are cooked.
- In the mean time, grind the roasted peanuts until it reaches a consistency you are satisfied with. Mix the peanuts into the pan with the cooked paste with tamarind.
- Pour in water until it reaches the consistency of which you prefer. Simmer for the next 12 to 15 minutes.