So, if you haven’t already realised, we’ve made it quite clear that CLEO has turned 21. And, the team is currently obsessed with this amazing milestone and all that we’re rolling out with it.
Now that we’re allowed to drink, vote, and basically adult, we thought it was appropriate to share what we think is completely important. Okay, we’re kidding. Buuuuuuut #TeamCLEO brainstormed and thought it was kind of cute to research everything that’s got to do with birthdays. And what do you blow out when you turn 21? A sh*t ton of candles.
As a self-confessed candle-lover (I have one in every room at home. I swear. I went a little crazy at a Voluspa sale once…) we figured, we’ll bring you the best of the Internet’s mind-blowing facts about candles. Here we go!
1. Candles were invented 3000 BC. We can’t even brain how long ago that was.
2. Candles can be made up of so many things: historically, bees wax; rendered animal fat, known as ‘tallow’, from sheep or cattle; wax obtained from whales, known as ‘spermaceti’; and plant based wax, were used. Modern candles are made from paraffin (made from petroleum) and there are soy wax variants. Yeah you learnin’.
3. Someone who makes candles is known as a chandler. This has made our 90s make so much sense.
4. Candles usually do not need outside assistance once lit, as the flame is fueled by the wax melting and vaporising. Mind. Blown.
5. 96% of candle consumers are women. And you should believe 0.2% of the statistics you read on the Internet. Come on, guys.
Now that we’ve brought you the top 5 best candle trivia, here’s the fun part. Our edit of the top candles you must own. Like, now. Add to cart. You’ll see why:
2. Diptyque’s Baies. We’re obsessed with this scent, and anything that comes out of Diptyque (which we can afford once we’ve paid off those student loans, our car loan, paid the rent, paid for our data and… well, basically, people should just buy this for us every birthday.)
3. Anything from tish.my. Basically, it ticks the boxes of everything we look for in anything. It’s affordable, it’s locally made and sourced and owned, and it’s eco-friendly/sustainable/allergen free, and there’s an option to customise the candle’s labels too, to make it your own. Owner Shermaine Wong told us herself that it’s made from soy wax, lovingly made here in Malaysia (big heart eyes emoticon).